Re: GNUstep ROADMAP

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: GNUstep ROADMAP
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:15:12 +0100 (CET)

On Sam 26 novembre 2005 9:16, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2005, at 06:05, Gregory John Casamento wrote:
>
>> Here is the Roadmap:
>>
>> http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Roadmap
>>
>> If you are a maintainer, please make any changes for your section
>> that you deem
>> appropriate.
>
> Rather than changing anything, I'd like to query some things because
> things on that page differ from my impressions of what's been
> discussed on the mailing list, so I guess I'm missing out on stuff.
>
> GNUstep 1.0
>
> 1. it says current base/make/back ... but what about ms-windows
> support ... I'm guessing we want base/make/back fixes/improvements
> for windows as it's not nearly such a good state as unix-style
> systems.  I'm not sure this is a 1.1 issue rather than 1.0
> This also ignores the fact that window manager interaction (focus in
> particular) is undoubtedly the biggest problem with current apps, and
> is a backend issue at least as much as a gui issue.

I think we should separated base/make/back.
back on MS-Window is not for 1.0.
base/make is probably ok ?

> 2. gui seems wildly ambitious (complete coding on all existing
> classes) .

I agree.
I think an OpenStep classes are enough if you want to release at
the first quarter of 2006.
I started to write/improve documentation for OpenStep Gui classes/method
and there is a lot of work to do ( doc / some fixes )

>The 'fix major bugs' is obviously required, but we should decide on
>what those bugs are

I agree.
We should also add a "1.0" Status into Tasks / bugs at savannah.

What about documentation requirement ?
I think it a must to attracked developpers.

Fabien