Re: GNUstep ROADMAP

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: GNUstep ROADMAP
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:23:11 -0500

On Nov 26, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Richard,

See below...

--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 26 Nov 2005, at 06:05, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Here is the Roadmap:

http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Roadmap

If you are a maintainer, please make any changes for your section
that you deem
appropriate.

2. gui seems wildly ambitious (complete coding on all existing
classes) .

By this I simply mean that we should try to bring all of the classes currently in GNUstep GUI up to spec. Many of them are already there. I am *not* saying that we should implement all of the Cocoa classes, but only that we should finish the classes which have already been started in the repository.

Agreed.

GNUstep  1.1

Integrate camaelon into gui ... I think this should be in 1.0 as a
matter of practicality ... as far as I can see, this is an easily
achievable target, so why not do it soon.

I really think this needs to go into 1.0. Judging by the amount of discussion themes ALWAYS get whenever there is ANY external publicity about GNUstep, I think initial reception will be far better if we can just say, "download and switch on this theme" instead of "someday we'll have Camealon in GNUstep". Let's not be impatient for the 1.0 release and then have lots of people dismissing it with "great, but too 80's for me"..

Integration of WildMenus ... I haven't looked at this, so i don't
know, but seems reasonable.

This on the other hand, we rarely hear about on the lists, so I think it's a much lower priority than Camaelon.

Something that's not mentioned in the list but I think is important for smoothing the entry of new users is a Preferences app. There are all of these half-started preferences projects, it shouldn't take long for a motivated person to gather these pieces and produce something that puts up a graphical front for most of the gui/back defaults and perhaps assists with Camaelon theme setting. GNUstep is supposed to be easy to develop with, and we have GORM, so this shouldn't be rocket science.

Finally, TextEdit and Terminal out of backbone should be made part of the release. I'm not saying backbone shouldn't remain a separate project. But, just like GNOME ships a bunch of basic apps in its distribution, I think these utilities should be part of a "base gnustep install". Both are probably sufficiently stable now, although supporting background color changing in Terminal and fixing some miscellaneous unimplemented areas in TextEdit would probably go far towards improving the perceived polish.

It would be nice to include the PDF and image viewers as well, but these are further from 1.0 state. What about GNUMail?

What about documentation requirement ?
I think it a must to attracked developpers.

I agree here -- the documentation should at least not have large blank and "description forthcoming" areas. I'll try to find some time to help work on this.