Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:02:53 -0800

On 2007-02-11 04:47:50 -0800 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

so can we change everything to

GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES ?= $(shell gnustep-config.sh GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

I think it's a good suggestion, even if I'd change it (slightly) to be

ifeq ($(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES),)
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES := $(shell gnustep-config.sh GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)
endif
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

i'm wondering why?

the first works if GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES is unset.
the second works if GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES is unset or empty.

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
would never have worked in either case, i'd rather fix case 1 and
consider case 2 a broken build environment.

unless this is about = vs := where there exists nothing like :?=

and I think the first one is alot easier to remember/easier on the eyes.