Re: Themeing

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Themeing
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:37:36 +0200

Hi Christopher,

there is a small but very annoying problem with your patch for gui: You
added some clean up of he formatting to it. Now it is great to replace
the tab characters that went into the files with spaces. After noticing
that my editor used tabs instead of spaces for indentation I switched
that off and started to clean up files myself, each time I do a commit
on GNUstep. But having to proofread a huge patch with mostly whitespace
changes is rather boring. It is too easy to miss out on the important
bits, while skipping over the formatting changes.
Also your indentation does not match with the formatting rules for
GNUstep. You use

if (XXX)
{
  [AAA bb];
}

whereas GNUstep has

if (XXX)
  {
    [AAA bb];
  }

(There are other differences as well, but this is the most prominent)
Could you please switch over to the GNUstep style before doing a huge
commit?
For the changes to the comments, I also don't see why the reformatting
was necessary.

As much as I like some of the stuff you did with the Windows themes, in
the current form this patch is not ready for a review.
Have your thought about moving your NSColor code into a separate
application that will just change the system colour list and write it
out? Your code is great for most cases, but when somebody tries to
access the system colour list the result will be totally different.

The theming extensions for menu and scrollers are surely something we need.

To make your live easier in the future I will submit a whitespace change
to NSButtonCell and NSMenuItemCell removing all the tab characters.

Cheers,
Fred