Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Getting to 1.0 for gui
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:56:33 +0000

On 10 Nov 2007, at 15:08, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

All,

I'd like to have a discussion and come to a consensus on what everyone feels would comprise a 1.0 gui release.

Two things ...

A. glitch free/reliable operation
B. a decent degree of interoperability with gnome and kde in particular, but also ms-windows

Technically the issues here are ...

1. solve focus problems and similar window manager related glitches so that apps operate smoothly and reliably with all popular window managers and all focus management models. 2, make sure cut-and-past and drag-and-drop operations work well with gnome/kde/ms-windows 3. theming ... allow users the option of making a gnustep app look like something else

NB. I really do mean 'a decent degree', not 'perfect' compatibility ... if we make GNUstep behave exactly like a gnome or kde or ms-windows app then we lose our identity (and some of our advantages), so we should not attempt (and should resist calls) to make the behavior identical, but we should have apps that communicate well with, and don't look completely out of place when seen with the 'native' apps.

If we want to attract people to develop apps for GNUstep, we need these features so that they are confident they can deploy the apps to a wide audience ... this is the starting point. Once developers know that people will be able to use their apps, we can start to convince them of the power and ease of use of the frameworks. On the other hand, if developers don't think people will use the apps, they won't write them no matter how easy to use our APIs and tools are.