Re: bindings and Renaissance

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: bindings and Renaissance
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:28:09 +0000 (UTC)

Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Xavier Glattard wrote:
(...)
> > 1) Examples/bindings.gsmarkup, two textFields, one value.
> > I had to create two bindings between the two fields. I thought a bindings
> > was two-way....
>
> Could you please explain a bit more what you are expecting and what you
> get? The binding code in gui is still unfinished, but basic two way
> interaction should work, at least in the cases where the bindings are
> already defined.
> You do understand that the binding behaviour is not symmetrical? At
> least not in my implementation and I think that is how Apple handles it
> as well.
> Did you test your code on MacOSX, was there any difference in behaviour?

I can't : no mac :-(

In bindings.gsmarkup i define 2 textFields. First i bind the 1st field to the
2nd one :
  [first bind:"value" toObject:second ...]
If i change the value of the 1st field, the 2nd one is updated. But I expected
that the value of the 1st would be updated when the value of the 2nd one
changes. To get that behavior i have to bind the 2nd field to the first.
  [second bind:"value" toObject:first ...]

> > 2) Examples/stepper-bindings.gsmarkup
> > NSStepper seems not to support binding properly : i get an error message
> > about Glyph... And i had to define a target/action
> >
> This description is not that helpful  Could you please describe some
> more what should happen? I don't have the latest renaissance test code.

In stepper-binding.gsmarkup i tried the same than in the previous example, but
the 2nd field is a NSStepper. If I bind the stepper to the textField, i get the
following error message when I click on the stepper :

/.../gnustep/libs/renaissance/Tools/GSMarkupBrowser.app/GSMarkupBrowser:
Uncaught exception NSGenericException, reason: Glyph generation was triggered
for a layout manager while the text storage it was attached to had unprocessed
editing. This is not allowed. Glyph generation may be triggered only at points
where calls to -beginEditing and -endEditing are balanced.

It doesn't look like a binding issue... Maybe Renaissance autolayout system ?

> Perhaps I should get that first and have a look. It may well be that you
> are trying to use an unsupported binding here.

I only tried the "value" binding.

> New bindings are rather easy to add in gui, I am just a bit lazy.

If that's easy I might try to do the job :-)
I actually only need to know what is good and what is bad.

> > 3) the 'sendActionOn' attribute seems broken, the textField only 'act' when
> > press the Enter key. Is it a Renaissance issue ?
> >
> What did you set the sendActionOn mask to? Most likely this isn't
> supported for text fields at the moment. If you come up with a
> description of what Apple does, we might be able to supply something
> similar.

See my other post.

Thanks !

Xavier