Re: GNUstep base version number

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep base version number
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:46:57 +0000

On 24 Nov 2008, at 23:53, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

I temporarily took it back to 1.15.4 to make a release on the unstable branch because we just haven't done the development work to produce a new unstable branch yet (ie the big, breaking binary compatibility significantly, changes listed as 'to do' in the 1.15.3 release haven't been done :-( ). We're working towards a 1.17.0 release again now ... I'd really like it if people contributed what we need to go into that release.

The next time, please copy everything into the stable branch first and then change the version number there rather than on the trunk. Apparently, I just did an svn up for base during this temporary version switch and got all sorts of application crashes, which finally turned out to be due to inconsistent libraries. Finally decided to rebuild everything from scratch with base 1.15.4 today just in order to find out that I can start over again with 1.17.0 again. THIS AIN'T FUN!

Am I doing this wrong ... should we be keeping trunk at the version number of the last unstable subminor release until we are ready to do a new unstable release, or should it be at the expected version of the next unstable release?

With the 1.15.3 release I listed all the changes needed for MacOS-X 10.5 compatibility, but nobody has offered to do or help with any of them ... so perhaps we should not bother with aiming for that in the next major release? In which case there seems no reason not to make a new unstable branch on 1.17 (so at least the unstable releases would have a higher minor version number than the stable ones again).