Re: Help needed with debugging

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Help needed with debugging
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:53:36 +0100

Le 22 nov. 08 à 20:39, Fred Kiefer a écrit :

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  7428389 22. Nov 18:08 libgnustep-base.so.1.15.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       25 18. Nov 00:16 libgnustep-base.so.1.17 ->
libgnustep-base.so.1.17.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  7424202 18. Nov 00:16 libgnustep-base.so.1.17.0

Looks like somebody downgraded GNUstep base from 1.17 to 1.15.4. Was
this done on purpose?

I have been surprised by this change too.

This may cause weird and unexpected behavior for people that builds GNUstep from trunk and forget to uninstall the old (1.17) version. It also leads me to think, the next unstable release would be 1.17, so few months ago, I have written some code that does API version check based on this release number. At that time, when I added these version check macros, I thought it could be better to check against 1.15.4. I wasn't really sure, but when I saw the 'version' file of gnustep-base updated to 1.17, I wrongly concluded it would be safe to use it.

To avoid that, why not only bump the subminor version once a release has been done? When the time for the next release comes, if the changes are more substantial than planned, then the minor version number can be bumped and the subminor adjusted as needed.

Quentin.