Re: Question on NSToolbar

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Question on NSToolbar
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 06:52:17 +0000

On 2 Jan 2009, at 19:22, Fred Kiefer wrote:

I would expect that we always have the menu as the topmost view in the
window, then the toolbar and last the actual contents view.

Yes ... with all this lying inside the window border decorations (when we are drawing decorations) of course.

Currently
the toolbar increases the size of the window, when switched on. It could
as well decrease the size of the contents view. Which should we
implement in the future?

We should do the same as MacOS-X does. I haven't tried, but I expect that the content view stays the same and the window resizes around it so that the views within the window are not disturbed. I imagine that the window therefore grows upwards when a toolbar (or internal menu) is added, with the bottom of the window (and content view) remaining at a constant position on screen. Of course, if this would take the top of the window off-screen, you would probably want to reposition it automatically to keep it on screen, so Apple may have decided to have the window grow downwards ... we need to test.