Re: GNUstep base almost builds with clang

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GNUstep base almost builds with clang
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 01:51:44 +0100

> Well if your business depends on it, you might want to hire someone
> someone to do the development.

Well, that would be me. But I kind of have a lot of other stuff to
do. I'll reprhrase it as "I dont want to take this on myself".

> Apple has moved away from GCC so you can no longer depend on them.

This I did not know. Interesting. I assumed Xcode was still using
gcc.

> Maybe it is just me and your business model is incorrect to depend on
> free things when in reality there is no such thing as a free lunch.

By that argument nobody should run a business on top of BSD or Linux.
Yes, if you are going to be pedantic I dont "depend" on them - If BSD
went away I would switch to Solaris, and if free Objective-C compilers
went away then I shall switch to OS X.

But in practice, currently the software runs on top of BSD using GCC/ObjC
and it would be an imense pain if either of those things vanished
tomorrow. But they are not likely to in my judgement. Indeed isn't the
point of the GPL that the current version can't ever be actually taken
away ? Or did I misunderstand that ?

-pete.