Re: NSSound Reimplementation

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSSound Reimplementation
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:45:41 +0100

On 19 Jun 2009, at 17:30, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

Then the designated initialiser allocates memory for the structure, clears it, and assigns the pointer when an instance is initialised, and -dealloc frees the memory at the end, and all internal references to ivars just go indirect from that pointer. The implementation is completely hidden/private and can be changed in subsequent releases without breaking the ABI.

Should I do this instead? Fact of the matter is, I'm not sure if the way I'm going about this is the best way forward, so chances are it'll eventually change (hence why I created an array of 4 (void *) but am only using 3 pointers). I would gladly go this route, specially since, like everyone else here, I'm all for ABI compatibility.

While we're talking about this, has anyone apart from me tested the non-fragile ivars support that is now in clang and works with the libobjc patch I posted here a month or so ago? When we have non- fragile ivars, this problem goes away; just do what Apple does and don't declare any ivars in the public headers, then have a version of the @interface in the .m file that does. This works nicely for me, but it needs further testing before I push the libobjc diff upstream.