Re: Emacs 23 and GNUstep

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 and GNUstep
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:49:36 +0000 (UTC)

В Thu, 13 Aug 2009 02:20:32 +0100, Frederico Muñoz написа:

> I now have a different backtrace when I try to launch the GUI version,
> which  is ti be expected since I was using xlib (and not cairo, as I
> said) before,

TTBOMK Emacs.app doesn't work with the cairo backend at all, although
your previous backtrace shows that you get further than me :-)

> This time it is about fonts.

Yes, that's expected.  About 2 months ago the Emacs NS font driver was
changed to use NSFontDescriptor intensively in order to support things
like :script and :lang.  However, some methods are not fully implemented
in GNUstep (yet).

I maintain a patch for my unofficial gNewSense emacs-snapshot package
that reverts all these changes (GUI version is 0.12.0 there which is
fairly old and doesn't have NSFontDescriptor at all):

** Revert changes to the NS font driver that rely on NSFontDescriptor.
   This patch reverts the (good) changes to support
   :script/:lang/:otf in the NS font driver, because they rely on
   the NSFontDescriptor class which is not implemented in the old
   version of GNUstep GUI available in gNewSense.

   Provided by: Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>

 lisp/term/ns-win.el |   13
 src/fontset.c       |    4
 src/nsterm.h        |    2

If you're interested, I can send it to you off-list.