Re: Window manager interaction

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Window manager interaction
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:36:11 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 17 Oct 2009, at 00:01, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

You are right with issue (1), but this is only for the case where an application deliberately hides its appicon. On the other hand, in Phillipe's case I feel that GSSupressAppIcon is abused (somewhat) as a workaround for the lack of better integration with the foreign environment. Maybe it would be a better idea to make use of the current interface style instead of checking the _app_icon_window attribute. Then, assuming that, e.g., an interface style NSWindows95InterfaceStyle indicates the presence of a taskbar, the application should suppress its appicon *and* not manage any miniwindows on itself. Thus, problem (1) would go away.

With respect to problem (2), I think that this could be handled by terminating applications by default when their last window is closed and the application delegate does not respond to - applicationShouldTerminateAfterLastWindowClosed:.

It sounds reasonable to allow interface style to control that sort of thing, and the behavior you suggest makes sense for a windows app. I'm not sure it addresses the original case though ... which was not for an app running on windows and where, specifically, we know we don't want to have the app close when the last window closes. So we probably still need to retain defaults for more fine grained control over behavior rather than just forcing a microsoft style behavior. It's not a problem really to do both microsoft style behaviors and user defaults for fine control.

I consider Gnome to be similar enough to Windows in its feel (though not in its look) to warrant a behavior akin to Windows for it.

[...]

Anyway ... see what you think of the change to allow unhide by showing the app icon when the app is hidden, and think about how it would be if, instead of showing that, what we actually did was show a miniaturised version displayed in whatever way the window manager normally handles miniaturised windows (eg in a task bar).

Well, it is certainly not what *I* would expect from a hide application command in a Gnome or KDE environment; but then, I'm using GNUstep primarily with Apple's quartz-wm on OS X and with WindowMaker on other platforms and therefore do not care much. I mainly opposed to your proposal because it appeared to me as introducing more brittle code in -back, which I would like to see avoided, but your actual change is not of that sort and so it is okay for me.

Wolfgang

P.S.: I just saw in the commit logs that you added a new library license to the svn tree, but made it impossible to check this out for us who are using a less capable operating system (OS X), which uses a case-insensitive file system by default. Please, never use files like License.m and license.m, whose names differ only in their case, in the same directory.