Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 07:59:22 +0000

On 25 Nov 2009, at 23:23, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>

>>> This morning, I have inadvertently updated gnustep-base on my Debian
>>> machine, which remained at version 1.19 since april this year....
>>> To my surprise, I have found at least two unannounced changes:
>>> - the property list format is now serialized directly in XML, which is
>>> somehow useful.... or, well, maybe not.
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean here ... I don't think property list format should
>> have changed ... I haven't noticed a change.
>>

> I think directly ~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GNUstepDefaults ?
> That's XML for me now and it wasn't.

Oh, that's a hidden file for private use by the base library ... kind of
surprising that anyone would notice, and certainly not something which should
appear in news/release notes as it's internal information.

There have long been two suggestions for improving the user defaults system
(performance is poor if apps store a lot of information).
1. using a database engine ... the best option for performance (on ms-windows
we already use the registry), but adds a dependency on a database library
2. using multiple files in xml format and making them public and compatible
with the OSX layout

Given the strong theme of OSX compatibility officially adopted for GNUstep,  I
expect we will be doing (2) when someone has the time, but will retain use of
the registry on ms-windows (native compatibility competing with osx
compatibility) at least as an option.