Re: gmodel loading appears to be broken

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: gmodel loading appears to be broken
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:44:05 -0400

Hey guys,

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
<...SNIP...>

> Not to sound nasty, but I proposed to deprecate gmodel files to you and Greg
> several times.  GModel remained in place only for Cenon!

I'm all for this.  I proposed deprecating gmodel a few years prior to
suggestions for deprecation by anyone else. :)   Cenon was just about
to be released and, as I recall, the only reasoning for keeping gmodel
support in GNUstep was to support Cenon only and any other apps which
might need it.

> I offered the guys from Cenon
> several times help to transition to clean GORM files and proposed the idea
> of moving gmodel loading into an optional bundle. The guys never ever
> replied. Now the latest version transitioned to NIB only and it looks
> clearly inferior on GNUstep now. AS far as I know, Gregory wrote them too.
> I found that never replying was quite rude... We should just deprecate it,
> optionally moving the ocde in a bundle to retain the capability of Gorm

I would be okay with this.  There are some good reasons to remove
gmodel support at this point:

1) The category which implements the initWithGModel and
encodeWithGModel methods doesn't cover all of the classes which
currently exist in GNUstep and is buggy/incomplete for many of the
ones it does cover.
2) There are significant memory leaks in the GModel code.
3) The GModel format is no longer needed since we now have XML based
nibs and XML based XIB files.

> RIccardo

GC
--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)