Re: Image size, DPI (was Re: Gorm is broken)

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Image size, DPI (was Re: Gorm is broken)
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 14:01:27 -0600

On 2011-05-08, at 12:47 AM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Sun, 08 May 2011 01:32:58 +0200
>> Von: Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>
>> An: Eric Wasylishen <address@hidden>
>> CC: Developer GNUstep <address@hidden>
>> Betreff: Re: Image size, DPI (was Re: Gorm is broken)
>
>> Hi,
>>> On a related note, I think the Cairo backend also rounds the coordinates
>> of path points - shouldn't we get rid of that as well?
>>>
>> I think that perhaps we should. But it is a delicate issue. Try
>> Graphos:play with it drawing boxes and lines especially, check our
>> various backends and check cocoa. Try different line widths. My
>> impression is that on cairo everything is always blurred :) Xlib of
>> course never since it has no anti-aliasing. But Cocoa isn't as "bad" as
>> cairo, it usually looks fine for integer line  widths.
>
> If I remember correctly the code here tries to avoid bluring for lines that
> the programmer would expect to be exactly horizontal or vertical oriented.
> This is the standard approach used by all cairo applications I know of. We
> should add a lot of tests before we change this.

Ok. I agreed it should be well tested if changed. Based on a quick check,
however, cairo's and Cocoa's default behaviour are exactly the same , i.e. the
examples here: http://www.cairographics.org/FAQ/#sharp_lines produce the same
results on Cocoa, so it doesn't appear that cocoa does any rounding below the
level of NSView implementations.