Re: Image size, DPI (was Re: Gorm is broken)

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Image size, DPI (was Re: Gorm is broken)
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 22:24:18 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sun, 08 May 2011 01:32:58 +0200 Von: Riccardo
Mottola<address@hidden> An: Eric
Wasylishen<address@hidden> CC: Developer
GNUstep<address@hidden> Betreff: Re: Image size, DPI (was
Re: Gorm is broken)

Hi,
On a related note, I think the Cairo backend also rounds the
coordinates
of path points - shouldn't we get rid of that as well?

I think that perhaps we should. But it is a delicate issue. Try
Graphos:play with it drawing boxes and lines especially, check
our various backends and check cocoa. Try different line widths.
My impression is that on cairo everything is always blurred :)
Xlib of course never since it has no anti-aliasing. But Cocoa
isn't as "bad" as cairo, it usually looks fine for integer line
widths.

If I remember correctly the code here tries to avoid bluring for
lines that the programmer would expect to be exactly horizontal or
vertical oriented. This is the standard approach used by all cairo
applications I know of. We should add a lot of tests before we
change this.

Ok. I agreed it should be well tested if changed. Based on a quick
check, however, cairo's and Cocoa's default behaviour are exactly the
same , i.e. the examples here:
http://www.cairographics.org/FAQ/#sharp_lines produce the same
results on Cocoa, so it doesn't appear that cocoa does any rounding
below the level of NSView implementations.

Are you saying that Cocoa basic drawing operations have the same blur effect for horizontal single pixel lines? Does this affect only the CoreGraphics functions or also the NSBezierPath methods? And what about the still supported PS functions? If this is the case we need to move the half pixel correction up one level into gui. I remember that before that correction was added use interface elements with the cairo backend looked less sharp.