Re: WebServer: caching responses

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: WebServer: caching responses
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:24:40 +0200

Am Freitag, den 22.07.2011, 06:49 +0100 schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:

> The WebServer class is specifically designed for dynamic pages, not
> static ones (normal usage is to have apache serve static pages and
> WebServer serve the dynamic ones).

ACK.

> That being said, it's trivial to cache the body of static responses (I
> would just use an instance of GSCache to store the body, and put that
> in the response) ... which gets you a reasonably fast result, but will
> still produce rather more cpu load than using apache would.

I suppose you mean NSCache?  I'll read up on it, but I think we may get
away with our temporary caching of the response and transfering headers
and content to the new instance if we let apache handle the truly static
resources.

> I don't mind extending the API if you really don't want to use
> WebServer in conjunction with apache ... I would expect existing
> performance is good for most purposes, but it could be faster (and
> I've been thinking about adding support for streaming video, which is
> the other case the existing code isn't really designed to deal with).

Using apache is fine, I just wasn't thinking of using a reverse proxy
setup and wanted to avoid writing a new module.

Thanks!

David Ayers - Team Austria
Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE) []          (http://www.fsfe.org)
Join the Fellowship of FSFE!         [][][]      (https://fsfe.org/join)