Re: OpenBSD: Services problems

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: OpenBSD: Services problems
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:22:15 +0200

Hi,
So in fact (assuming I'm understanding this correctly) this change is really
introducing a minor bug in order to work around a runtime failure ... and we
should really be figuring out what the runtime is doing wrong and how to fix
it, rather than hacking a workaround into base.

What's special about OpneBSD and FreeBSD?  Are they using a particularly old
version of the GNU runtime?
Maybe the correct solution is to revert the code change I just made, and have
those systems use a more recent GNU runtime, or the GNUstep traditional
runtime, or the new GNUstep objc2 runtime.
No, nothing special as far as I know and I wouldn't say "particularly old" runtime either. What would you consider old?

The OpenBSD/sparc32 box runs old gcc 2.95, but has our libobjc 1.6 installed
The OpenBSD/x86 runs the gcc 4.2.1 runtime
The FreeBSD/x86 runs gcc 4.2.1

I can successfully run on Linux/ppc with debian... I can't check what gcc it runs, becase booting just broke.

I don't see anything common in the platform eithers: little/big endian, even x86 happens to break.

Riccardo

--
---
GNUstep maintainer and Application developer