base patch for review: NSLanguages system languages

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: base patch for review: NSLanguages system languages
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:17:36 -0600

Hi,
I was experimenting with changing my system language (Ubuntu 10.10) and ran in
to a problem: I set the language in Ubuntu's language settings tool to Canadian
French but was not getting any French translations showing up in GNUstep apps.

I didn't touch the NSLanguages user default, but when I tried reading it in an
application, it returned ("CanadianFrench", "English").

The following patch fixes this problem by expanding regional locales into their
more general variants - so "CanadianFrench" is expanded to ("CanadianFrench",
"French") Also, it adds support for reading the LANGUAGE environment variable,
a GNU extension, which lets you specify a list of locales like "de:fr_CA:en" if
you wanted to see German, then Canadian French, then English in order of
preference. In other words, it has the same role as the GNUstep LANGUAGES
environment variable, but it's used by GNU gettext/gtk/probably others.
According to the gettext docs, if LANGUAGE is set it is supposed to take
precedence over LC_MESSAGES and LANG.

Cheers,
Eric