Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:53:58 +0000

On 7 Dec 2011, at 14:40, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>>> The check in the configure script (which breaks the build with clang now -
>>> apparently it was not tested before being committed)
>> The script provides instruction on how to ignore the check for compilers
>> which don't support the 'standard' gcc behaviors.  That worked on my system
>> when I tested it.  I put that option in for old versions of gcc and because
>> the latest info I managed to find for clang was that it didn't support
>> characterset specifier flags and didn't check what characterset it was
>> writing using for string literals.
> Just as information: the check fails on gcc 4.2.1 and I disabled it though
> the option.
> However, the man pages lists it as valid option.

Hmm ... works for me with gcc-4.1.2 on CentOS, and 4.5.2 on windows, and a 4.7
snapshot on Debian.
Most likely there's some problem in the test (though I guess there could be a
problem with gcc-4.2.1) ... perhaps locale related in some way (though the test
attempts to work in a common locale to avoid that)?