Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:49:21 +0100

On 12.02.2012 18:45, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
On Saturday, February 11, 2012 20:58 CET, Riccardo Mottola<address@hidden>
wrote:
Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
Supporting this really standard stuff would prevent us from
creating/maintaining a truckload of
Apps Wrappers. I actually created some of those apps wrappers for about 20 or
so applications
but Riccardo refused to add them to the Apps wrappers, he said, this is not a
kitchen sink, and
it should only contain really common used apps. Which I understand and is fine
with me.
But on the other side, creating and maintaining own apps wrappers, is also a
bit cumbersome.

Exactly. AN alternative would be to start a GAP repository where to dump
dozens and dozens of ready-made wrappers. These still need to be
customized by packagers due to different names (ooffice/soffice or
firefox/iceape) and locations.

Shall I take care of this? I'd take the Apps_wrapper directory from GWorkspace
as a start.
I'd review those, since I found some broken there some time ago.
I have about 10 or 20 apps I use more or less often, that are missing in the
Apps_wrapper directory
from GWorkspace. I'd love if I could install those just from a tarball, and
don't need to take care
of them by myself ;) Whoever thinks his favourite app is missing, can send a
wrapper, and we/I could
add it to the repo.

I think we should either try to create a small conversion script that turns .desktop files into app wrappers, or write an application that takes the role of a generic app wrapper, by interfacing with xdg-open or by directly interfacing with the FreeDesktop MIME database.