Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:44:31 +0200

First, thanks everyone for support and ideas!

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Ivan

I had long ago decided that I wont mentor for GSoC this year, but your mail led me to rethink that position. Your proposal is very convincing and would be highly beneficial for GNUstep. Then before I had the time to write a mail another thing happened. An old friend of mine asked me to take over the mentoring of a group of high school kids that participate in an ESA robotic challenge. Original he was the mentor of the group, but having fallen sick he needs a replacement. And as he is really a very old friend of mine I could not turn down the request.

Sorry, but I wont be able to step in here. Hopefully somebody else in the GNUstep community will.

Thanks!

I work with kids myself (although it's only a small beginner's game development class on Saturday) -- so I understand the importance.

And if it's not just a random group, but also work for an ESA competition -- I can only convey my best wishes. Good luck! :-)

Best wishes and hope to see you in Cambridge,

Ditto!

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
On 22 Apr 2013, at 21:43, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ping! Student registrations have started. Any prospective mentors?

I've registered as a mentor.  I'd also be most interested in the back end being refactored to support using Opal.

Based on feedback everyone gave, yes, the importance of this (and the importance of integration with Core Animation) seems to be the consensus.

Currently, basic idea that I have is to copy the entire Cairo backend (or maybe use derived classes, although long-term that seems a bad idea) and ensure that every Cairo surface is instead backed with an Opal context. I'd temporarily expose the Cairo surface from the Opal context, and ensure that calls are directed to the Cairo surface backing the Opal context instead of to the Cairo surface inside the backend.

Then, I'd be removing the Cairo surface from the backend and replacing Cairo calls with Opal calls.

Finally, I would be continuously looking at options for integrating Core Animation with AppKit (based on feedback).

I'll probably need more supervision compared to implementation of UIKit, but this is definitely a more useful long-term project for GNUstep.

I'll put together a proposal, register it on GSoC's Melange, and also send it to the mailing list.
--
Ivan Vučica - address@hidden