Re: PDF Viewer does not have continuous scrolling

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: PDF Viewer does not have continuous scrolling
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 23:07:13 +0100

Hi,

On 06/11/2016 21:22, Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
I don't know where ViewPDF currently is hosted and if somebody maintains
it at all - Is it another name for the old Vindaloo viewer?
I could trace that to:
http://gna.org/projects/gsimageapps <http://gna.org/projects/gsimageapps>

Based on poppler.. it looks another piece of GS software that is....
bitrotting
Is being based on poppler bad? Is this software bad in its design?

Nothing bad being based on poppler.. I don't know the design of that program so I can't tell. Poppler or xpdf can give at least some PDF functionality, while for ghostscript, like used in GSPdf, each page is just an image, there won't be stuff like search and I guess it will be always slower, but the rendering quality is quite high.
Different approaches.

The discussion of xpdf vs poppler then goes beyond this thread I guess.

I tried to compile PoppletKit for Vindaloo, and it gives me this error
even though I already installed libpoppler-dev and libpopplerkit0:

Making all for subproject bindings...
make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'obj/bindings.obj/poppler.c.o',
needed by 'obj/subproject.o'.  Stop.
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/Instance/subproject.make:45: recipe for
target 'internal-subproject-all_' failed
make[2]: *** [internal-subproject-all_] Error 2
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/Master/rules.make:311: recipe for target
'bindings.all.subproject.variables' failed
make[1]: *** [bindings.all.subproject.variables] Error 2
/usr/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/Master/rules.make:311: recipe for target
'PopplerKit.all.framework.variables' failed
make: *** [PopplerKit.all.framework.variables] Error 2

Sorry I don't know, never built that software myself.

Is it useful for me to try GSPdf and edit it to add continuous scrolling
there?

What is a good starting point for getting continuous scrolling somehow
eventually?

I can't think of an easy way of adding it in GSPdf. THink of GSPdf like an image viewer... one image after teh other, just that the images are your pages rendered to a /tmp

Riccardo