Re: PDF Viewer does not have continuous scrolling

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: PDF Viewer does not have continuous scrolling
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 12:21:53 +0100

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
Poppler is based on xpdf (effectively the xpdf core refactored as a library).
It isn’t a bad library, but due to its history it is GPLv2 (no ‘or later’
clause).  It was one of the main reasons that GNUstep remained LGPL2.1+ -
moving to LGPLv3 would have made it incompatible with Poppler.  The GPL in
Poppler also makes it difficult to put it in a library that can be used by
other things (for example, if we want to do full-text searching in PDFs then we
can’t use Apache Lucene, which is Apache licensed).

I do well know these licensing issues (the other being the Linux code in Terminal). xpdf made a leap forward and was relicensed in its latest release and now contains the "or later clause". The stupid part is however that I can't get PDFKit to work with the newer version, they removed one of the options needed to work as a library. I made several attempts but failed failed and lost time. It would be nice to collaborate with the guy.

Riccardo