gomp-discuss

[Gomp-discuss] Fresh todo list :-)

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Fresh todo list :-)
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:34:38 +0200

I have submitted the stub lib from the OMP spec, it's not it too god shape but it compiles, it needs build script, ( to be automade ).

Also I have suggested that we make some programs which emits code to the backend ( same everytime, look at exa from cobol for gcc ), in order to start testing the lib, first the stub and then to thread it. This would enable us to make test cases which are independent of the front/middle end and all handling of parallell constructs for the lib, and thus enable us to work with a stub, threaded and/or/if appliable a mpi or pvm lib ( as example ).

So if someone takes a look at the build and gives some comments, I will try to look into making some 'test code generators' which cals the lib, ( a'la exa as previously stated ).

 Does this sound reasonable ?

If we have the libs running were independent of the frontend and thus can handle a lot of compability and portability issues.

Also it would be easy for us to try out the implementation details, ( really code generation details ), before we start to generate code for this, and perhaps avoid the worst pitfalls.

 / regards, Lars Segerlund.

Biagio Lucini wrote:
Right, let's give a fresh look at the todo list. We need:
a) a set of working libs
b) hooks (sorry if the term is not appropriate) in the compiler

In principle, I have no problem with my present knowledge in tackling A,
but B would be another thing... I could do something there as well, but I
need to be guided as a baby who hasn't learnt how to walk :-) I see many
of the potential contributors there to be up to something else (mainly,
tree-ssa), so probably noone will put big commitment on this stage before
that project has reached production-stage.

Will it be sensible to do some counting? Who is still there and still
wants to give a hand, even if not in a near future?

Biagio