gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Problems with the gpsd website move
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:10:06 +0100

On 02/26/2012 02:46 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Tomalak Geret'kal <address@hidden>:
>> How about option 3, find a real webhost?
>
> All of them suck in various painful ways, most having to do with
> the extremely primitive state of forge software.  I know how to fix this, but
> doing so will require about six months of concentration that I haven't
> been able to give the problem yet.

I wouldn't mind to setup gitlabhq and provide a vhost for gpsd and even
sponsor a domain.  Gitlabhq is still in development, but upstream
responds fast.
The other option would be to use github as it is widely used already. It
is great for merging and tracking changes and collaborating with others.
As github is a commercial service, one might want to have the official
repository somewhere else and push to github automatically.

Mailing lists is the other thing which is a bit more painful, as it is
not integrated - and as they are  a source for a lot of spam usually -
even if you need a registration - I'm not keen on hosting something like
that nor would I recommend to do it on your own unless you have a nice
provider and enough time to handle it.