gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] wsg_separation Issue

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] wsg_separation Issue
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 02:39:54 -0400

Dave Hart <address@hidden>:
> Coverity analyzes ntp-dev at one of its highest (pickiest) levels as
> part of the Scan initiative, but we don't get detailed reports in text
> logs or emails -- we have to sign into a website and drill into each
> defect in turn.  It's not as bad as it sounds -- they serve up the
> source code as well as the defects in a useful way, and allow
> colloboration in comments and tracking (such as marking a defect as a
> false positive).

I know.  I got to do it that way once, in 2007, but Coverity has been
difficult and unresponsive since.

> My advice is to try again/harder to work with Coverity to setup or
> restore access for key gpsd developers to their Scan portal website,
> and if needed, get them tracking your head or at least your release
> tarballs -- that is, using automation to build a snapshot every
> release or every few days, the results of each archived to dig into
> on-demand using the portal.

I'd love to have things set up that way, but since 2007 my repeated attempts
to engage Coverity have been fruitless.  I've had severe difficulty with
long delays in getting anyone to answer my mail. I have found the procedures
documentation on their websiteto be scanty and confusing.

> The human I have dealt with regarding Scan in the past, David Maxwell,
> is no longer working for Coverity, based on the bounces
> address@hidden elicits.

Well, that explains why *he* hasn't answered my mail in months... :-(
He was my last contact there.

>                                 http://scan.coverity.com/about.html
> has several email aliases you might try instead.

I'll try, but previous experience does not fill me with optimism.