gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 14:57:04 -0400

I have this adafruit GPS (https://www.adafruit.com/product/746), and had it connected to a RaspberryPi for a year or two.  I used NTPd directly.  Nifty piece of hardware and is extremely reliable.  It has an external antenna connector that I'm using.  It came with a battery holder that I never used.  It locks quick, even with a long off, cold start.

The adafruit GPS is currently attached to my BSD based pfSense router as an NTP server (no GPSd).  I'll probably move it back to a Pi and put one of the USB GPS's I just received on the pfSense box (less wires in that area).  I'll then have 2 x PPS enabled GPS NTP servers at home.  Any advantages to 2 x on the same LAN?  What should I look for to dial them in, or should I just let NTP on the clients figure it out?