gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:17:23 -0700

> It has an external antenna connector that I'm using.  It came with a battery
> holder that I never used.  It locks quick, even with a long off, cold start.

What's your version of "quick"?

Without the battery, I'd expect all starts to be cold.  There may be enough
capacitance in there to hold for a few seconds.

This brings up the opportunity for an interesting bug.  One of the things
that gets saved is the offset between GPS time and UTC.  If you are running
in NMEA mode, there is no way for the device to say "I know where I'm located
and the GPS time, but I don't know the UTC offset."  It can either wait or
give you the time that may be wrong.

My first attempt with one of Gary's PPS over USB units was off by a second.
That would make sense if the firmware had a compiled in default from before
the last leap second.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.