gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC 2783
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:57:54 -0700

> In Eric's writeup "Introduction to Time Service", he lists the 1PPS via USB
> as having a deviation of up to 1ms vs. 1PPS via Serial at only up to 5uSec.
> The USB GPS's I have will have THAT much latency on the PPS? That's a factor
> of 200, USB vs. Serial!  If so, I may shy away from using the PPS on the USB
> GPS and get another unit from adafruit...

USB is polled.  For old/slow USB, the polling interval is 1 ms.  I think it's
1/4 ms for newer, but all the GPS over USB that I've seen are old/slow.

If you are lucky, the "average" of several samples is 1/2 that.  If you are
unlucky, the USB clock will be synchronized (or close to synchronized) to the
PPS clock and all your samples will be at one end or the other of the
sampling interval.

Geek alert.  The term is Hanging bridges.
  http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/m12/sawtooth.htm

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.