gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] libgps?

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] libgps?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 21:23:01 +0100

On 03/24/2015 09:14 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Eric!
>
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:03:41 -0400
> "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
>>> For now build systems are esr's thing and I am sure he is lurking.
>>
>> I am.  Having heard no objections to my heads-up early this morning,
>> I'm planning to move us to always statically linking binaries while
>> still installing the shlib for third-party use.  That will eliminate
>> two build options and solve a whole raft of problems.
>
> I'd like to hear bzed's opinion on these changes.

As mentioned before, if libgps is being statically linked, I'll remove gpsd from
Debian. I can live with a statically linked libgpsd, doing so is just a waste of
memory, but nothing problematic. Having a static libgps only means, that for
every gpsd upload I need to get kde and all other dependencies rebuilt. That is
nothing I will accept nor (I can't speak for them, but I'm sure about that fact)
will the release and security teams accept such a broken library usage.

To sum it up: we are yet again wasting hours on stupid problems which only exist
because of scons?