gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:07:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
> > You may have seen my more recent post about the updated xgps working on
> > OSX with py-gobject3 from Macports.  I only tested it with Python 2.7, but
> > py-gobject3 is available for some Python 3 versions (via the usual
> > versioned subport mechanism that MacPorts uses for Python code).
>
> I have since forward-ported xgppspeed.  Unlike cgps, which is dependent on
> the compiled clienthelpers module, "python3 xgpsspeed" can be tested in place
> on current Ubuntu.  So we're now completely moved to Gtk 3.0 using Python-GI.

Confirmed working on OSX with Python 2.7, 3.4, and 3.5.  These are the
only Python versions supported by the MacPorts py-gobject3 (not
necessarily due to incompatibility).  I only tested the Python 3 cases
from the build directory, rather than messing with python_libdir, though I
also tested the installed xgps and xgpsspeed outside the build directory
with Python 2.7.

Fred Wright