gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘cgps
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 23:02:34 -0400

Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
> Well, it certainly has something called 'gpsd' that one can see in the
> GUI, though it might just be a name collision.

It isn't.  I've had comments left on my blog and occasional mail from
people who have had their hands into the Android port.  One of the few
things I know about it is that it's had AGPS support bolted on. I'd
love to merge that code upstream, here, but nobody's offered. There's
probably some proprietary-technology IP nightmare in the way.

>                                         There are various threads
> about "gpsd eating my battery" which should more correctly be "apps
> constantly requesting fine location eating my battery".

The error pattern suggests to me strongly that a bug in some versions of
the Linux kernel tty layer interacted badly with gpsd.  Such things have
happened before - gpsd exercises some otherwise seldom-visited regions
of that code's behavior space - and probably will again.