gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Lots of warnings

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Lots of warnings
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 20:43:11 -0700

Yo Frank!

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 23:22:32 -0400
Frank Nicholas <address@hidden> wrote:

> If MacPorts is barfing for you, how are you testing/compiling on OS X
> at all, or are you at a stand still on OS X?

I'm at a stand still right now.  If I am the only one using gpsd on
OS X then hardly any point to testing it.

> I have never had any instability with Xcode or the command line
> utilities.  I’m not doubting your issue - just sharing my experience.

Not unstable, just broken...

> My limited experience with MacPorts has been the opposite - not like
> Linux (Gentoo) & not close to the standard OS X tools (form Xcode).
> It was never exactly “stable” in my use.  I always had to mess with
> it, even more than Gentoo installations.

Odd, since I find Gentoo unstable to be very stable.  Gentoo unstable
can be a bit hinky, when they do update it.

> I’m assuming you are on either Mavericks or El’Capitan.

El Capitan.

>  For the past
> at least few (several?) versions/years, the standard path for the
> Xcode command line tools (not MacPorts) has been
> “/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer”.

mini:~ root# xcode-select -p
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

Same as yours, but:

mini:~ root# xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: no developer tools were found, and no install could be
requested (perhaps no UI is present), please install manually from
'developer.apple.com'.

> From Finder or Launchpad, try deleting the Xcode IDE completely (you
> do have it installed, right?

It looks installed to me:

mini:~ root# xcode-select -v
xcode-select version 2343.

> Then
> reinstall it from the App store.

I do not see a 'reinstall' option.  Delete and reinstall

>  Also, make sure you don’t have any
> Bash/shell manual settings that might be getting in the way.

I'm a plain vanilla guy.  I always try to make the default work.

>  If you
> have a current Xcode IDE, use the command ‘xcrun’ for more additional
> information about your command line environment.

All xcrun gets me is a usage that confuses me....

I do all the 'show' options, but I have no idea what they mean.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588