gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Five More patches - 0005

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Five More patches - 0005
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 18:22:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 17:16:10 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > [0005-Fixes-broken-OpenBSD-build.patch  text/PLAIN (1041 bytes)]
>
> Applied, but I removed this:
>
>     Since modifying double-underscore flags is expressly
>     prohibited by the C standard, if some sort of fix is needed it
>     will need to be done differently.
>
> It may be true but the "#define __BSD_VISIBLE" is right out of the
> FreeBSD doc.  Their OS, their rules.

Which doc would that be?  Here's a sample discussion:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-standards/2004-March/000474.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-standards/2004-March/000485.html

>From the first message:

"FreeBSD doesn't require __BSD_VISIBLE.  On the contrary, __BSD_VISIBLE is
an implementation detail, and setting it in applications gives undefined
behaviour."

BTW, I upgraded my FreeBSD install to 10.3, and everything still builds
without that define.

Fred Wright