gpsd-dev

Re: ✘ Release blockers?

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: ✘ Release blockers?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 19:42:29 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:

Rather than goind around and around, changing the meaning of words, how
about you show any problem that you think exists in one of the gpsd
regressions.  Talking around a problem does not illuminate it, data
does.

This isn't about "regressions", it's about presenting incorrect information to users in client programs. Regression tests only prove that the code does the same thing as it did before, regardless of correctness. Regression tests are correctness agnostic.

However, I've determined that the trouble in question was already present in 3.19 and I just hadn't looked closely enough to notice, so it's not a release blocker.

I also spent some time chasing another problem that I thought was new, but was actually just opportunistically behaving worse with the new code, and the fix affects lots of regression tests, so I'm putting off fixing that.

I did push a fix for a small problem I noticed while investigating, as well as a tweak for xgps.

I've done the usual testing across a wide range of machines and VMs, and it looks good to go.

Fred Wright