gpsd-dev

Re: ✘ Release blockers?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘ Release blockers?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 19:49:11 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 19:42:29 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > Rather than goind around and around, changing the meaning of words,
> > how about you show any problem that you think exists in one of the
> > gpsd regressions.  Talking around a problem does not illuminate it,
> > data does.
>
> This isn't about "regressions", it's about presenting incorrect
> information to users in client programs.  Regression tests only prove
> that the code does the same thing as it did before, regardless of
> correctness. Regression tests are correctness agnostic.

Yes, but you miss my point.  The issue you found was clearly in the
regressions.  No need to talk about it, just show it in the existing
data (regressions).

> However, I've determined that the trouble in question was already
> present in 3.19 and I just hadn't looked closely enough to notice, so
> it's not a release blocker.

Care to explain what you found?

> I also spent some time chasing another problem that I thought was
> new, but was actually just opportunistically behaving worse with the
> new code, and the fix affects lots of regression tests, so I'm
> putting off fixing that.

Care to explain this too?  Maybe someone else can fix what you see?
Is it a release blocker?

> I did push a fix for a small problem I noticed while investigating,
> as well as a tweak for xgps.

Saw it, thanks.  You misunderstood the clearly vague comment that you
changed, so I re-added the comment and improved on it.

See if that now maikes sense to you.

> I've done the usual testing across a wide range of machines and VMs,
> and it looks good to go.

So no blockers?  Just two issues you don't care to share?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588