gpsd-dev

Re: ✘3.23~rc1 -- gpxlogger

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: ✘3.23~rc1 -- gpxlogger
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 15:47:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 20:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021, Gary E. Miller wrote:

I pushed another fix to the gpxlogger issues.  Turns out this bugs
was there since day one.

Please test.

What I see now is:

Running with no args and no gpsd running exits 1 with no message.

Good.

But, the message is in the syslog.  All gpxlogger messages go into the
syslof.

If it's not in daemon mode, messages should go to the terminal. Syslog is for daemons et al. And it's questionable that a nonprivileged program should be able to write to syslog at all.

A subtlety with that is that "daemon mode" in this context should mean actually running as a daemon, not just the command flag. In particular, if it's unable to daemonize, the error to that effect should go to the terminal (by default, anyway).

I notice that the manpage says that -d should be accompanied by -f, though -f isn't directly documented. Though it wouldn't be unreasonable for -d without -f to go to syslog (if possible).

Running with no args and gpsd running with no receivers exits 1 with
no message.

Good, also syslog.

Aside from where the message goes, I'd expect the behavior in this case should be to output the header and wait, in case a receiver appears later. But it should of course be quittable while waiting.

Running with no args and gpsd running with good fixes exits 1 with no
message.

Odd, works for me.  You do not get a valid gpx file?

Nope.  This is with no args at all.

Running against an external gpsd works.

Good.

Fred Wright