gpsd-users

Re: open SHM data only after cgps start

From: shouldbe q931
Subject: Re: open SHM data only after cgps start
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 15:14:42 +0000

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 11:21 AM Hans Kurscheidt <lve0200@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>  >

> At a guess, you have a systemd unit file for gpsd that does not start
> gpsd, but only listens for a client to connect
>
> <

<snipped for brevity>

> Here's the UNIT file
>
> [Unit]
> Description=GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
> Requires=gpsd.socket
> # Needed with chrony SOCK refclock
> #After=chronyd.service
>
> [Service]
> EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/gpsd
> EnvironmentFile=-/etc/sysconfig/gpsd
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gpsd -N $GPSD_OPTIONS $DEVICES
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
> Also=gpsd.socket
>

> in the config file $GPSD_OPTIONS is "-n" and $DEVICES is "/dev/ttyACM0"

Always a good idea to post the full contents of  referenced files

Do you need socket activation?

On a Pi3, running  Raspberry Pi OS (Stretch) I have slightly simpler unit file.

pi@piaware-1:~ $ cat /etc/systemd/system/gpsd.service
[Unit]
Description=GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -P /var/run/gpsd.pid -n  /dev/gpsd0

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
pi@piaware-1:~ $