gpsd-users

Re: Getting NMEA data out from gpsd for use in u-center

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Getting NMEA data out from gpsd for use in u-center
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 16:25:03 +0100

On 02/10/2021 12:21, Michael Byczkowski wrote:
Indeed, David, that would be so great to have!

With regards to ser2net, everything works much smoother with version 4.3.3.

Best regards,
        Michael

I've now tried two approaches, and while both /may/ be sending data (how to test?), neither stream is seen by u-center. Of course, it's most likely my errors! I tried to broadcast UDP, and then to send TCP.

Perhaps I have the client/server relation the wrong way round as I would expect simply to make a TCP stream available rather than having to specify the device in "nc". I have less experience of UDP, except within the context of NTP offering a service, and needing to have a firewall entry allowing incoming connections.

Anyway, here's what I tried:

UDP method:
gpspipe -r | nc -u -b 192.168.0.255 12101

TCP method:
gpspipe -r | nc 192.168.0.8 12101

So if anyone has any bright ideas...

Cheers,