gpsd-users

Re: Getting NMEA data out from gpsd for use in u-center

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Getting NMEA data out from gpsd for use in u-center
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 06:51:28 +0100

On 03/10/2021 19:02, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 16:13:37 +0100
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

Yes, I would have liked that to work, but even with the "-G" option.
I tried both UDP and TCP.  Just checked again, and with UDP it
appears to connect but disconnects after about three seconds.  With
TCP its not clear what happens, but there's no data flow.

It fails because u-center is expecting NMEA< and gpsd is waiting for
u-center to request the type of data (NMEA, JSON, RAW) that it want.

A simple Python shim would handle that, or gpspipe.

RGDS
GARY

Thanks for the explanation, Gary.

I do now like the solution I found, as it uses nothing other than what is already available, and should be possible for anyone to reproduce should they need the same function.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk