gpsd-users

Re: Getting NMEA data out from gpsd for use in u-center

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Getting NMEA data out from gpsd for use in u-center
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:59:23 -0700

Yo David!

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 07:52:30 +0100
David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> The aim is to get u-blox u-centre watching the NMEA output from a gps
> device.

Dunno why you would want to do that.

> The gps is connected to a Raspberry Pi and running the latest
> gpsd correctly. I've searched for answers but they elude me.

Getting NMEA from gpsd is easy:
        $ gpspipe -n

See the gpspipe man page.

> Using
> Telnet on the Pi itself produces a JSON header line

Dunno why you would do that.  But if you sent eh correct ?WATCH, you would
get NMEA that way too.

> Questions:
>
> 1.  My understanding is that gpsd can output data on TCP/2947,
> however when trying to connect to a the RPi from the PC I get:

Did you read the gpsd man page?  You need to specify the -G option to
gpsd to allow external connections.  Did you do that?

> 2. There is mention of JSON coming from port 2947.  Is there a way of
> getting NMEA rather than JSON, or some program/function to send
> continuous NMEA on another port?

Already discussed above.

> 3. I see that once the JSON line arrives, nothing else does.

It is all in what you ask for.

>  Ideally
> I would just like a copy of the NMEA stream the GPS is sending to
> gpsd.

So ask for just that.

RGDS
GARY