Re: [Groff] conditionals inside a table?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] conditionals inside a table?
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 17:22:49 -0000 (GMT)

And I would add to this that 'tbl' does not interpret troff requests
(if it sees any in the 'tbl' contents, after the initial formatting
setup, then it simply passes them through to the next link in the chain).

In fact, what 'tbl' does not like in Anton's attempt at .ie/.el is
the fact that it interprets his initial "." as the terminator for
the format line (though the ones in the "w(0.5i)" etc. are protected
because they are within "w(  )" which tbl does interpret); and then
it is not the last character.

Or indeed a top-level ".". anywhere in the format line.

Example: I have a document with a table which works perfectly. The
start of the table is:
  .TS
  tab(#);
  n1 n1 n1 n.

As a test, I changed this to
  .TS
  tab(#);
  .n1 n1 n1 n.
and got the very same message: "`.' not last character on line".

And the same if I insert it anywhere else in the line -- even:
  .TS
  tab(#);
  n1 n1 n1 n..

Hoping thus helps to clarify!