Re: Putting hyperlinks in a PDF document

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Putting hyperlinks in a PDF document
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 08:37:20 -0600

[adding Peter for a mom question]

Hi Deri,

At 2022-11-15T13:43:49+0000, Deri wrote:
> It's a bug, try this work-around:-
>
> groff -Tpdf -mm -dpaper=letterl -rW=9i hyperlink.mm -P-p8.5i,11i > \
>   hyperlink.pdf

Interesting!  Any idea what's going on here with the changed page
dimensions making the hyperlink inoperable?  I haven't yet scrutinized
the device-independent output ("grout") to chase this down myself.

I will note that the idiomatic--or at least historical--way to set the
page length for the mm(7) macro package is via the `L` register on the
command line;[1] so, for this example, we might say `-rL=8.5i`.
However, that is not necessary in groff; the "papersize.tmac" package,
automatically loaded by "troffrc" for all typesetter devices,[2] uses
the `pl` request to set the page length in the formatter and when the
macro package loads, it computes the placement of its page location
traps based on that.

I observe that the same thing is done for the line length, but only for
ms(7), mdoc(7), and man(7).[3]  It seems like it might be a good idea to
do it for me(7) and mm(7) as well.

Peter, is there something "papersize.tmac" could be doing to help out
mom(7) here?  We'd then have that macro file wired up to all of our
full-service macro packages.

[1] https://tkurtbond.github.io/troff/mm-all.pdf
[2] groff 1.22.4 loads it for _all_ devices, but groff 1.23.0 will not
    do so for terminal devices.[4]
[3]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/tmac/papersize.tmac?id=37c6ef46ce4f032c31d9dd3cb32081af85afd08e#n149
[4] https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62238