guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:46:23 +0100

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> skribis:

> El mié, 25-02-2015 a las 14:56 +0100, Ludovic Courtès escribió:

[...]

>> Regarding the section at the bottom, I wonder whether/how it could be
>> implemented in practice.  For instance, we’re not going to move to
>> GitHub just for that, and I’d rather not call out to openhub.com or
>> similar to get stats.  Yet, I’m not sure the cgit/gitweb instances at
>> Savannah provide a JSON API to extract this kind of data.  What are your
>> thoughts on this?
>>
>> Maybe the answer is that we’ll have to work with the Savannah hackers to
>> add whatever service provides such an API to Savannah, and in the
>> meantime live without that section.
>
> I just thought that a JSON list of recent commits could be generated
> with a script+libgit2 (somewhere, once a day) and then put the JSON file
> in the website repository. But if that's expensive or just silly, I
> don't see any problem in leaving that section out.

If we go for self hosting as David suggests, we can do whatever sounds
appropriate on our own server.

>> One thing we need to decide is whether we keep the GuixSD web site
>> separate from gnu.org/s/guix.  I tend to think that it should be
>> separate (we can ask for guixsd.gnu.org), with the Guix web page mostly
>> unchanged, but I’m slightly concerned about overlap and the risk of
>> bitrot.  WDYT?
>
> I think that GuixSD should have its own website (at guixsd.gnu.org) and
> Guix should stay on gnu.org/s/guix.

Guix-specific info could go to a sub-page of the GuixSD site, I think.
This would avoid overlapping.

>> How can we make progress from here?  Would you be able to do the
>> CSS/HTML implementation of the web site?  What else is needed?
>
> I don't know if Pierre-Antoine Rault (rigelk) is still willing to take
> on implementation :)
>
> In any case, I've worked in "mockup-to-implementation" before¹, using
> Web frameworks like Django² or static-site generators like complexity³.
> I don't have any formal training, but I'm willing to help.

I would go either static (complexity or even Skribilo) or somehow use
Guile’s web server, but then again I’m not going to do it so I’m open to
whatever seems appropriate.

> As for what else would be needed for GuixSD website,
>
> - A GuixSD project in Savannah
>     - CVS repository for website
>     - git repository for website source

Problem solved if we use our own server.  The Git repo for the site’s
source can go in a sub-directory of guix.git on Savannah.

Thanks,
Ludo’.