guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 22:39:35 +0100

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 01:34:51PM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
>>> I think that GuixSD should have its own website (at guixsd.gnu.org) and
>>> Guix should stay on gnu.org/s/guix.
>>
>> Honestly, I do not quite understand why we would need two different websites.
>
> Yeah, I'm not convinced we need two sites, either.

OK but there’s the problem of the logo and focus.  Should perhaps the
main page be about GuixSD, and a sub-page would be about Guix as a
package manager, and such?  (Similar to what nixos.org does.)

> IMO, managing the site via gnu.org's antiquated CVS deployment setup
> is undesirable for the long term.  As assistant chief webmaster I've
> tried to influence a migration to git and more modern web development
> practices, but it's not going to happen.  I propose that we do as
> Mediagoblin does: Maintain a completely separate web server that we
> have full control over, and redirect http://gnu.org/s/guix to that web
> server.

That’s a terrible state of affairs, and I hope the FSF webmasters
realize that and realize that something must be done about it.

There’s the possibility of having a gnu.org sub-domain.  From a
practical perspective, we can probably get something on chapters.gnu.org
(administered by fellow hackers Nacho & José) very easily.  From there
we use either a static site generator or do something more Guilish if
someone is tempted.  We’d have a lot of flexibility.

How does that sound?

Ludo’.