guix-devel

Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: [ART] Website mockup rev2
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:34:30 -0500

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Andreas Enge <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 01:34:51PM -0500, Luis Felipe López Acevedo wrote:
>> I think that GuixSD should have its own website (at guixsd.gnu.org) and
>> Guix should stay on gnu.org/s/guix.
>
> Honestly, I do not quite understand why we would need two different websites.

Yeah, I'm not convinced we need two sites, either.

> Guix and GuixSD are so tightly intertwined that I think it does not make
> much sense to separate them (same git, same bug tracker, same mailing list,
> same manual); of course, there could be subpages for one or the other aspect.
> But everything could be subpages of gnu.org/s/guix/. Or do we not have the
> right to several pages in one site?

We can make as many pages as we'd like.  We already include many other
pages for the manual and such.

IMO, managing the site via gnu.org's antiquated CVS deployment setup
is undesirable for the long term.  As assistant chief webmaster I've
tried to influence a migration to git and more modern web development
practices, but it's not going to happen.  I propose that we do as
Mediagoblin does: Maintain a completely separate web server that we
have full control over, and redirect http://gnu.org/s/guix to that web
server.

Thoughts?

- Dave