guix-devel

Re: 05/15: gnu: wesnoth: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: 05/15: gnu: wesnoth: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth.
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:34:59 +0100

swedebugia, Guix,

TL;DR: we're missing a field like ‘DISPLAY-NAME’, and all this is just hacking around the bush.

swedebugia wrote:
Anyone else who have opinions on the matter of acronyms in names where they can be avoided?

I share your aversion to acronyms and senseless abbreviation — I just had to type ‘extra-config’ and it made me wince — but that's not the point here.

Good useability is important and cryptic acronyms are not something to expose to the user if possible to avoid IMO.

You're equating your preferred naming style to usability (an assertion I reject) and arguing that those sceptical of the former oppose the latter. This is not true.

Maybe this is where we need to discuss what our target audience is? Nerds only? Random Joe who is new to GNU systems but dead tired of the proprietary systems he was taught in school who heard og Guix through a good friend who helps him getting started?

Using this logic, I counter that these very long names unfairly privilege 1337 hackers who can touch-type, and hurt the average Jo' poking at their chiclet keyboard with a chopstick ;-)

Both arguments make about as much sense IMO (and caricature users). I think a name like ‘the-battle-for-wesnoth’ helps *neither* user.

XLong names take longer to type on the command line, and noisy to read in code. Some hinder tab-completion. Any implication above that they are ‘usable’ at all is doubtful to me.

In a GUI, they still look ugly: why no spaces? Why lowercase? Why bother? We don't have to choose between POLA from other command-line package managers and providing pretty metadata for higher-level UIs. We can do both.

…but let's find consensus first ;-)

Kind regards,

T G-R