guix-devel

Re: 05/15: gnu: wesnoth: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth.

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: 05/15: gnu: wesnoth: Rename package to the-battle-for-wesnoth.
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 16:16:36 +0100

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 03:02:00PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> I still think this change should be reverted

I also think so.

The wording in the naming guidelines is intentionally a bit vague;
the intention was definitely to take in general the tarball name, or maybe
if this does not fit the domain name or something "similarly canonical".
The tarball name does not always work, for instance in cases where it is
"v0.15.zip". So we cannot have a strict rule, but the idea was to take the
"canonical short name". When writing the section, I did not expect this
part to lead to controversies; the real question was how to handle special
characters (lowercase, replace underscores with dashes), and what to do
for (at the time) python packages.

I am happy to make the wording clearer. But I am not sure whether replacing
"project name" by "package name" makes a difference. What is a "package"?
But if you think it is better, why not.

We could also add "short" in front of "projet"/"package name", and maybe
add that this usually corresponds to something like the base name of the
tarball, the git repository name or the domain where the project is hosted.

What do you think?

Andreas